Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rant on City Employees


What is the deal with the individuals employed by the city? What do they have to be so rude about? I went to the dump the other day and arrived there at 4:47pm EXACTLY. A sweet little old lady exited the small building and walked up to my driver-side window. She told me that "unfortunately" I was a little too late and that the waste facility had closed at 4:45pm. Now I might have understood the reason I couldn't drop off a broken fridge or something seeing as it would have cost me money, and would have to go into the computer, etc. But I clearly had a small load of yard waste which is very easy to remove from my vehicle and it wouldn't cost a penny to unload here. Not having any way to retort to my simple logic, the lady repeats exactly what she had just said before, WORD-FOR-WORD. What was she thinking? Did she think I didn't hear her the first time? Well, after she repeated the only line she knows, I told her I had come all the way from Kaleden just to get rid of this waste, but I didn't get anything more than an "Oh really?" Now, all I'm thinking to myself is "Are you serious?! Is every word I've been saying just travel through one ear and out the other?" Clearly there was no way to make this lady understand my predicament, so I quietly turned my vehicle around and drove home muttering to myself the entire time. Now, I bring you back to my questions from earlier. Why was she so rude? Was two minutes late really that hard to let slide? And why is this type of thing true of almost all city employees?

1 comment:

B-ry said...

I know exactly what you mean, there are certain people employed by the city who need to be a little more curtious when dealing with the public. It's small issues like this that can escalate and turn into something ugly. If city employees were just a little more understanding Penticton would be that much better.